Monday, November 23, 2009

Small Town Politics-The Real Influence

I am Vice-Chairman of Leander's Public Art Committee. I helped invent the confounded thing and it amazes me what it means to be a Public Servant. It's easy to feel overwhelmed by what is going on Politically in Texas. Sometimes, for those of us who care, you should narrow your focus and look at the politics of your very own town, it is here that the politics will have the most personal effect on your life and what you value as important.

On the Art committee we have to make choices that will effect not only the residents but the developers, businessman, economics and tax base not just for now but for generations to come. City boards and committees make decisions for major issues such as: If you will have potable water to drink in 10 years, and everything from noise, traffic, building, and zoning ordinances that will improve or hinder your quality of life.

These committees are not that difficult to become a part of. They are made up of members that are appointed,elected, or volunteer.I know it's easier to Blog or complain or just not care, but the truest way to influence your life is to get involved in your local politics. The average person truly misses an opportunity to shape their life by skipping out on this involvement.

Small town political scandals are what we commonly read about. The decisions and votes that happen everyday by small groups of your neighbors have more impact on your day to day life than you know about. They will effect what happens to your money, your land, your children's school, and so much more. Local politics need to be pushed into the center of what is on every one's mind. In Local elections your one vote actully can determine the outcome of an election here in Texas(becuase so few people vote in them). More on this at Texas Politics :Voting,Campaign and elections . Change Change Change, you don't need the President to do that geez. Get Involved!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brutus...after reading your post about small town politics, not only did I NOT want to participate in Leander's political community, I felt as though I had been scolded by my parents and sent to bed without dinner. You raise some incredibly, interesting points but they are lost because of your tone and the convenient way you criticize people who "blog, complain or just don't care". Brutus, your entire posting is one big complaint. You start off by stating your credibility as an art committee member and yet, gave little or no information regarding how you, yourself, got on the board or even what inspired you to do that. What are the kinds of projects that you, as a member, take part in? I've participated in The City of Austin's Public Art Crawl and would have been fascinated to know about some of the inner workings. You did mention the city board and potable water but frankly, that does not spark my interest and if I had say, one hour a week (besides working 30 hours and going to school full-time) to devote to a community cause, that would not be it. You also mention that the committees are not hard to get on....how does that happen? What steps would someone take do do that? And by the way, I AM shaping my life by being involved in seriously profound ways...I volunteer on a regular basis, I take part in community projects and I am active in my church. I completely agree with your assertion that understanding local politics, inlcuding voting and elections are crucial to on individuals's life, however, I am not a second grader who needs to be chastised. I am assuming, from your blog information that you teach children. I hope you will consider the tone in which future messages are delivered. Your position and experience could be used as a valuable, persuasive tool to actually make a difference....other than just complaining.

    ReplyDelete